Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The road to May 1st. Week 2.

Another week into my training for the frontRUNNER's Labor Day Coast to Coast Ultra-marathon 'ONLY THE STRONG' race this coming May 1. The weather gods must have thought I had too much favors thrown my way last week because, in total contrast to last week's weather, this week's rains seemed to pour, and poured heavily, on my scheduled days of training. But, even with that, I managed to squeeze in some considerable mileage. Thank God!

So, Monday. This is another one of those days when you wake up in the morning  with a bed-over-road dilemma. Most of the time, for me at least, the road always wins. But this time? Anyway... In the evening... After work... Yeah, well, the bed won in the morning! Now, on to training. In the evening, after work, I did my usual Intervals workout. This time, it's 1200m, 1000m, 800m, 600m, 400m, and 200m with 200m rest. Plus, the usual 20 - minute warm up and 10 - minute cool down easy runs.

It rained on Wednesday morning so I decided to postpone my workout in the evening. I was hoping it wont rain, and I was actually hesitant to run after work because the sky was still gloomy and it looked like it was going to rain. Nevertheless, I did my Tempo workout that evening. It was windy and it was very cold. Plus, it rained, and it rained hard, in the middle of my workout! My plan was to do a 1.5km Easy Tempo, 9km at Marathon Pace, then another 1.5km Easy, but I was a little hard headed that day, and I ignored shouts from my Garmin telling me to slow down.

On Friday, the plan was to do another LSD to Busay with Joel, Boying, and Axl, but it rained hard in the morning so the planned run was cancelled.

To make up for the cancelled long run, I decided to run to Cebu City from my hometown in Danao City. Since our bosses from Oslo came to visit us here in Cebu with very limited time, it was decided that we needed to report to the office on Saturday. I was gonna meet Joel in Consolacion, but I was not able to start early so I messaged him to go ahead of me. I was taking it easy and running slow that when I reached Mandaue City, near A.C Cortes Ave., it was already 920am, and I have to be in the office before 10am! So, I decided to cut my run short and took the jeepney to our apartment.

I must say, this week didn't exactly went as good as I planned, but at least I was able to get the mileage in. I hope training will be better next week.

P.S.
I have a message for those running minimalist or barefoot, please be extra careful when running at night, especially after a heavy rain. I happened to step on a marble - size pebble while doing my Tempo run on Wednesday, and it was so painful I had to limp for about 20 to 30 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment